Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Concerning Poetry

Recently, I've been struggling with a realization. I don't want to admit it to myself, because I suppose I believe that if it's true it will make me less awesome, less legitimate, less sophisticated. But there are some things that just ARE, and there's isn't a whole lot I can do to make them not be. I'm hardwired a certain way, am that's just the way I am, dammit. And I don't like poetry.

I don't like poetry. There. I said it. I don't understand how I CAN'T like it though. I like reading, writing, art, drama, philosophy... other stuff....? I just don't desire to "read into" something to "extract" a "hidden" meaning. I want things to be great the first time I read them, because if I don't think it's great the first time, or I don't UNDERSTAND it the first time, I probably won't want to read it again to get "more" out of it. Does that make me less of an intellectual? Will I now be black listed from coffee shops and open mic nights in every town I go to?! Hopefully one day I'll be proven wrong. I'll come up against a piece of poetry that I enjoy and will desire to work to understand it and appreciate it. And maybe that piece will inspire me to read more poetry, and so on and so on ad infinitum. Until then, I guess I'll just hang out with the plebs.

No comments:

Post a Comment