Monday, January 25, 2010

What the hell is going on out there?!

It's easy for all of us to just bury our heads in the sand and go about our daily lives with little attention paid to the global, or even national, state of things. I know I am guilty of this, and sometimes I think there is a valid excuse, and sometimes I don't. But that's not what I'm writing about today. What I am writing about is what I do find when I poke my head out of my little Whitney - World and see what's going on around me. I do it a little here, and a little there, but over the past week, my only comment for everything going on is What the Frack, World? What on earth is going on out there.
The first thing is obvious Haiti. I can't even express the sadness I experience when I think about it. These poor people were living in terrible conditions to begin with, but now things have gotten worse, when before they may not have believed that it could be any worse. How long will it take for the country to rebuild, especially when everyone who remains has lost someone close to them. I applaud the humanitarian and relief organizations, and everyone who has donated to help them out. But money can't buy time, which is what is needed for everything to start to get better. But that's not a WTF event, just a sad one. The WTF came when reading about Clooney's "Hope for Haiti" telethon drive. It raised $57 Million to be split equally among seven relief organizations. More funds are expected to come in as people buy the album of musical performances from the telethon on iTunes. What harm comes from this? People who, because of their position in the public eye, are more likely to generate attention and support (and money), than us poor Joe-Blows who donate as much as we can and still not feel like we are making a difference. I commend any efforts such as these, but in reading the comments on the article, I was appalled. Here is one from the Huffington Post:

"It was nice of them to squeeze this into their busy schedule of dressing up in thousands of dollars couture and giving themselves "awards." I hear those other self-absorbed folks, the Country Music "stars", not to be outdone, are planning one but have not worked out the schedule conflicts with their current plethera of award shows. So much pomp and pageatry, so little time. What a conundrum."

Um, what? This fucker is the kind of person that makes little kids cry when condemning their lemonade stands. I just don't understand why someone would feel the need to be so cynical about people (celebrities are people at the end of the day, believe it or not) rallying together to help a cause. Mindboggling.

The other WTF moment this week was Scott Brown. What the fuck, Massachusetts?!


No comments:

Post a Comment